Mutton Rice Porridge or Nombu Kanji is the most popular and tasty recipe that is made for Iftar during the holy month of Ramadan season. This fasting rice porridge is the main course during iftar which is supplied in all masques in the month of Ramadan. People complete their fast in the evening with Nombu Kanji, made of rice and dal, and seasoned with whole spices. You can prepare veg or a non-veg version of Nombu Kanji as well. Here is the recipe for authentic Palli Vaasal Mutton Nombu Kanji.
Recipe Type: Porridge / Iftar Recipe
Preparation and Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serving Size: 5-6 servings
Cooking Skill: Medium
Seeraga Samba Rice – 1 cup
Moong Dal – ½ Cup
Fenugreek – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 3 inches
Clove – 2 nos
Cardamom – 2 nos
Onion – 1 no
Chili – 3 nos
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Tomato – 1 no
Mutton – 200 gms
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Mint – few
Coriander – few
Water – 5 cups
Salt – to taste
Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Method to Prepare:
1. Rinse well and soak the rice, moong dal and fenugreek for 30 mins.
2. In a cooker, add oil and heat.
3. Add the whole spices(cinnamon, clove, and cardamom) and green chili and let it splitter.
4. Add onion and sauté for a minute.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste and tomato. Stir for 2 minutes on high flame.
6. Add mince cut Mutton, turmeric powder and saute well.
7. Add salt and the soaked ingredients to the cooker and sauté for a minute.
7. Add 5 cups of water and bring it to boil.
8. Close the lid and cook for 5 whistles. Once the pressure is gone, open the lid.
9. Add coconut milk and mix well.
10. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with vada, bonda, or a samosa!